Fabric office chairs are great for individuals looking for a custom look and offices that are looking to coordinate specific colors. Designers often use fabric upholstery as a means to bring together an office and business owners love the ability to have a uniform look throughout the work space. Fabric office chairs are available in a wide range of colors and patterns.
Leather office chairs are the most popular type of office chair. Leather is comfortable to the touch and soft to sit on. It is also classy and appealing to the eye. Executive chairs are almost always upholstered in leather due to the prestige that leather brings to an environment. Leather office chairs are available in a wide range of colors with the most common color being black. There are a few different types of leather that are described in more detail below.
- Split Leather - Split leather is the fleshy underside of the cowhide. This leather is lower quality leather that should be used on items that will not get much use. Split leather is coarser to the touch and harder to work with than top grain leather. It is not recommended for areas that will be sat on and/or used extensively.
- Top Grain Leather – Top grain leather is high quality leather. It is the outer layer found on a cowhide. Top grain leather is much more durable, workable and softer to the touch than split leather. Most leather office chairs are upholstered in top grain leather and office chairs that aren’t should not be used for more than a couple hours at a time.
- Glove Soft Leather – Glove soft leather is a specific type of top grain leather that is especially soft. As the name states, glove soft leather is most widely used in the manufacturing of gloves. This type of leather is often found on high end office chairs, jackets and other furniture ite
Mesh is a new aged, modern upholstery that offers a different look, feel and function to the office seating industry.
There are two types of mesh office chairs: padded mesh and unpadded mesh. The different styles offer much different sitting experiences.
- Padded Mesh - A padded mesh chair is designed like most leather or fabric office chairs with thick padding wrapped in mesh upholstery. There isn’t going to be much of a difference between typical office chairs and padded mesh chairs other than the way mesh feels to the touch compared to fabric or leather. Mesh is coarser than leather but is similar to fabric upholstery.
- Unpadded Mesh - The unpadded mesh is going to be much different than the other chairs. An unpadded mesh chair has only the tight woven mesh, supported by no padding or backing. Unpadded mesh office chairs offer much better breathability than normal office chairs which helps to keep the user at a comfortable temperature when at the chair for a long period of time. They are also different in the way they respond to the user. An unpadded mesh chair will stretch and bend depending on the weight and shape of the user in the chair. This helps to support all areas of the body that come into contact with the mesh. Mesh often contours and form fits to your body better than other chairs because of its elasticity
There are many different manufacturers with many different types of mesh. The best mesh is the type that is soft, smooth and comfortable to the touch with the durability to hold its elasticity for many years. It is sometimes difficult to find both qualities. Coarse mesh will not be comfortable for the user and may slow productivity. Mesh that can’t hold its elasticity will end up sagging over time which will create an uncomfortable sitting posture which may lead to injury.
Polypropylene is a very durable, plastic like material that is used in some types of office chairs. Polypropylene is very difficult to break and only really becomes damaged from scratching. This type of material is also the easiest to wash because it can withstand many different cleaning agents and tough scrubbing techniques. Polypropylene chairs are often used in computer labs and industrial working environments.
Vinyl is a durable product that looks like leather, but lacks the soft, durable characteristics that good leather possesses. Vinyl is smooth to the touch and extremely easy to clean. Cleaning solvents can be used along with scrubbing methods without damaging the product. Vinyl is a good alternative to leather for the buyer who likes the look of leather but does not like the price tag. Vinyl is most commonly used on lower end office chairs, stacking chairs and various waiting room furniture items.
BeyondTheOfficeDoor.com provides a variety of ergonomic office furniture designed to increase comfort in the home and office. From specially designed stand up desks to ergonomic keyboard trays, our store offers an extensive inventory of ergonomic chairs, drafting stools and ergohuman chairs so that you can furnish your work environment.
Permission for Reprint or Use Content on a Website: If you want to use one or more of our articles on your website, ezine, and/or in print, we typically will allow you to do so with our permission. Just email us a short description of where and what you plan to use. We will respond to you, usually within 1 business day, detailing our conditions of your reprint. If an article will appear on a website, it is required that all of our links stay intact. If the article will appear in print, it will usually require a mention of our website with toll free number and a quick excerpt of our company. If the article will appear in an email ezine a link and our toll free number will be required. That's usually all we need, but please note that permission is required!
Office Chair Guides