Back pain may begin as a minor irritation that later develops into intense pain that affects all aspects of your life. If you are experiencing back pain, it is important to seek treatment as soon as possible to minimize the risk of long-term injury. While surgery is an option to consider if you are suffering acute pain from a back injury, there are many non-surgical options available to those with more chronic back problems. Below is a list of 10 popular non-surgical treatments to consider for relieving back pain.
1. Spinal decompression/traction: This method requires a patient to lay on his or her back while a light force is applied along the spine to gently stretch the back.
2. Hot/Cold therapy: An alternation of heat and cold is used to reduce inflammation, swelling, and spasms associated with back pain.
3. Massage: Pressure is physically applied to back muscles to relieve tension, stiffness, and pain. The technique and degree of force used can be adjusted to the patient’s needs.
4. Ultrasound: Ultrasound equipment is used to transmit sound waves into a patient’s muscle tissue, which heats the area to promote blood flow and reduce inflammation. This technique is believed to speed the rate of muscle healing and recovery.
5. Spinal Injections: Medication is injected directly into or along the spine to reduce acute discomfort and isolate the source of back pain.
6. Aquatic therapy: This technique may involve stretching, light exercise, and other movements in water to gently loosen and strengthen the back.
7. Medication: A variety of medications may be given to patients with back pain, including over-the-counter pain relievers or muscle relaxants. However, medications should be used in moderation and only according to a physician’s prescription.
8. Chiropractic care: Using massage and manual spinal adjustment techniques, chiropractic care is intended to promote good spine health.
Acupuncture: Thin needles are inserted into the skin to increase the patient’s blood flow and life force, which is intended to promote muscle pain relief and healing.
10. Biofeedback techniques: These techniques are used to identify the source and cause of back pain. A patient’s movements are tracked by sensors placed along the body, which produce readings that indicate whether a patient’s body is responding and operating as it should.
Today it is common to combine several different techniques to develop a customized treatment regimen for a patient’s unique situation. If you are having back pain, consider consulting with your doctor or other back treatment specialist to discuss your non-surgical pain relief options.
Beyondtheofficedoor.com is an ergonomic furniture retailer that specializes in providing ergonomic solutions for your workspace. We offer a wide assortment of products, from keyboard trays to fully standing desks, which are designed to provide maximal comfort and functionality. Contact us today to learn more about our expansive inventory of ergonomic office products.
Permission for Reprint or Use Content on a Website: If you want to use one or more of our articles on your website, ezine, and/or in print, we typically will allow you to do so with our permission. Just email us a short description of where and what you plan to use. We will respond to you, usually within 1 business day, detailing our conditions of your reprint. If an article will appear on a website, it is required that all of our links stay intact. If the article will appear in print, it will usually require a mention of our website with toll free number and a quick excerpt of our company. If the article will appear in an email ezine a link and our toll free number will be required. That's usually all we need, but please note that permission is required!